Thursday, August 27, 2009

Facebook security

I've been using Facebook more often lately, almost everyday. And yet as I tried to sign in yesterday it's telling that I need to verify my account. It doesn't make sense really. The reason given is that I'm signing in from an unfamiliar location. Wow, so Facebook keeps track of from where I sign in and I actually have to sign in from the same place all the time? Please.

Besides, I've been signing in from the exact same location for the last few days and yet there was no problem. Now I'm thinking maybe it's some sort of phishing attempt. I feel so uncomfortable going through this step. Just one more reason to hate dislike Facebook. Below is the message I get after entering my email and password.

You are signing in from an unfamiliar location. For your security, please verify your account. This check prevents others from accessing your account without your permission. If your password is stolen through a phishing site, for example, this step keeps your account safe. You will not be prompted every time. For additional information please see http://www.facebook.com/security.


I still don't understand how entering my birth date will help Facebook know that it's really me. Seriously! My birthday is displayed on my profile, it's practically public information. If somebody is really trying to break into my account and made it pass the username/password that person most likely will have my birth date. I hate strongly dislike Facebook I wish my friends were not on there.

2 comments:

chatteress said...

I just love it when people use the comments to promote their blog. Clever isn't it? But at least have the decency to leave your name. From now on, anonymous comments with links in them will be delete it.

As for the question, how can Facebook be used to meet people? Well... Facebook stalking can be more efficient than Google stalking. You might not meet total strangers but you will see the profiles of your friends'friends' friend or of people in your network school/office/club/whatever

Arif Ammar said...

I pray for haiti relief