Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Haiti?

When people ask me for my asl and I tell them I'm from Haiti, most of them don't have the slightest clue where that is, many confuse it with Tahiti and one person even thought I was in some Hawaiian island. When I speak to Indians they sometimes think Haiti is somewhere in their country.

When I tell people Haiti is in the Caribbean, it means nothing to them since they have no idea what the Caribbean is. I try to say it's in Central America but many people think Central America is somewhere in the USA. Lately I tried to say that it's near the Dominican Republic and Cuba and Jamaica thinking that these countries are well known but still it doesn't work.

I have come to the conclusion that most people in the world are just not as interested in geography as I am and that my country is really small -in size- and just not as well known as I thought it was, in spite of the headlines in International news media.

I suppose I could say I'm in the West Indies but people in Asia and Oceania would probably think we are part of the smaller Caribbean islands where they play cricket. But Haiti is not a former British colony, we were a French colony until 1804(independence year), we don't play cricket. So what's the solution? Just let them find out by themselves where it is if they are really interested in knowing where I am in this world.

No comments: